Sunday, July 29, 2012

Overnighter Day 1

1.  Date: 28 July 2012
2.  Day 1
3.  Miles traveled: 6.9
4.  Temp: mid 70s @ 0945
5.  Weather: Some clouds but very pleasant not as humid as at home but still sweat inducing.
6.  End point: Rocky Run shelter
7.  Events: Hung out with Andy and Kevin
Log:  Headed out at 0825 and arrived at parking lot at 0935. Hit the trail after cleaning up a Repel insect repellent leak in my top pouch. Made everything sticky. The trail is very nice here. I saw a few day hikers and also some section hikers. I met Kevin and his father Andy at the Washington Monument. I stopped for lunch at the Dalgren campground and they caught up to me there. We talked a while and I lent them my iPod charger. I arrived at Rocky Run at 1400. I scouted the area and found a place to put up the hammock behind the shelter. I made a few trips to the spring to get some of the fluid back in me from sweating all day. I made a little fire for the atmosphere even though it was in the 80s and there really weren't many bugs. Dinner was noodles and chicken and a little Tabasco. I took a little walk and brought some wood back to replenish the supply under the porch and hung out until the sun set behind the ridge at 2000. I retired to the hammock with just the woovie and was hot at first but feel comfortable now as I write this. I will read some then see how this thing sleeps. A good day of hiking and I do like the solitude, but having my honey or my babies here would be good too.

No comments: