Sunday, July 29, 2012

Overnighter Day 2

1.  Date: 29 July 2012
2.  Day 2
3.  Miles traveled: 6.9 or so.
4.  Temp: 65 degrees @ 0700
5.  Weather: Clear, calm and pleasant. 
6.  End point: Route 70 bridge @ 1030
7.  Events: Large wasp nest near Dalgren Church
Log: I had some trouble sleeping last night. It seemed I just layed there for two hours as the cacophony of tree frogs and crickets rivaled anything a shelter full of snorers could do. I just didn't feel tired. I read for another hour then did sleep some. As the night cooled I realized I should have placed my reflector pad that I had brought to test out. Around 0400 I got up and dug it out of the pack and could immediately tell the difference. I dozed until the birds took over for the now quieting frog song. It's 0630 now. Time to start the day.
I started breaking camp as I boiled some water for some oatmeal and coffee.  I headed out at 0730 and started back north towards the trail-head.  I ran into two guys who had headed north yesterday from Weaverton and had gone to the monument and back to Dalgren campground.  I passed a few backpackers and day hikers as I made my way back.  I didn't take any long breaks, just about 10 minutes at the monument to fill some water and rest a bit and was seeing how fast I could get back.
When I was climbing the last hill, I almost bonked and had to get a good drink and munch on some trail mix.  Before long I was at the trail-head and at the van. 
I threw the gear into the van, headed to McDs for a second breakfast and headed home. 

This is a good hike that can be done again and again, with little side excursions or going a little further to the cabin or staying at the campground. I will put it in my list of hikes for future reference. 

Parking at the trail-head: free
Filling my water bottles at the parks along the way: free
Stringing a hammock between two trees behind the shelter: free
Making a fire and staring at it for a few hours: free
Hiking the AT: Priceless

No comments: