Saturday, July 2, 2016

The Quest of Pamola


If I haven't already pulled the trigger of announcing a long distance hike, making it official, I am pretty much locked and loaded.  Lisa and I have discussed the possible plan of heading down to Georgia and getting back to Springer, to then hike North, towards the place where Pamola resides.  

In my current line of work, I get the question all time of "have you hiked the whole trail?" from a lot of our visitors.  I immediately point out that I have done a decent portion of the trail, but next year, my bride and I will set our sites north on an adventure in walking.  Each time I say it, it feels more real to me.  It builds my excitement, my need, to get on the trail, become an outsider and hike north into the mists.  

Being immersed in the Trail Culture and hiking whenever I can squeeze in the time, I have a decent idea of what to expect.  I also expect to experience a lot of things I haven't yet and might not have thought of.  That's what adventures are.  A voyage into the unknown.  

So, as the idea becomes more real, things resembling obstacles keep throwing themselves in front of us.  We deal with each challenge as it comes and think that this might jeopardize our plan, but we fight on, taking care of the problem and for now, continuing on.

First, there is the "wedding".  Daughter number one is tying the knot in October.  Once that financial ruining, er, glorious event happens, we can set our sights towards Georgia, and Springer and "The Hike".  

Another recent situation was my back going out more than it ever has before.  With a months long recovery that signals to me that my body isn't getting any younger.  I got to see what I have left in the tank.  I have to get out there before my back says "unuh,  you done."  

Some more recent perceived barriers (omens) are some equipment failure issues at the house.  Not long ago the washer gave up the ghost.  Last week, the dryer decided it was its turn.  Yesterday, the computer's power supply started giving off a very smokey smell and won't power up the unit anymore.  It seems as if Pamola is already challenging me.  Already scoffing at my audacity of assuming I would be allowed to start this Quest.  The Quest of Pamola.  

But attempt the Quest we will.


Brandi, (daughter number two), will be our home base support team leader.  Her team of one will tend to the house and its furry occupants.  Ensuring the lights stay on and the trains run on time.  She is predicting we will be home in a month at most.  She may be right, but who knows.

I'm not obsessed with the job title of Thru Hiker.  If we go all the way, great, but I really don't care if we make it all the way in that calendar year.  I have already realized that I will be hiking the trial until I can no longer walk.  If I do go and finish the trail in one season, I still won't be done.  I won't be finished hiking. 

So, if I find myself pulled back to the "other" world during the hike, that's ok.  I will do what I have to do and get back to the trail when I can.  I'm a hiker until the end.

You might be wondering about this Quest of Pamola.  What is this "Pamola"?  

Pamola is an indigenous god, (sometimes labeled a demon), who can control the weather.  Actually a storm god.  He has the head of a moose, the feet and wings of an eagle and the body of a man.  He resides in Katahdin.  You must appease him if you think you can summit that greatest mountain.  The ones who feared/worshiped him, thought it taboo to enter his domain.  The mountain...


To appease Pamola you must sacrifice "fat and oil".  I plan on making that sacrifice using bacon and olive oil.  Seems like that will work.  Add a little to the fire.  Say a few words and you might found worthy.

If we make it to Pamola's domain, and if we are found worthy, we will summit in glory and celebrate the event.  But it will only be an event.  Not the first, not the last, just one point in time, where we were found worthy.  



2 comments:

hhavko@gmail.com said...

Best wishes on this and all you endeavor.

EarthTone LoGear said...

Thanks Ho.